Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chapter 9: The Dead Prince

Bren wants to be alone with our apparently new cat friend, Corin, so I go with the others to scavenge the entrance room of the cave once again. I get lost trying to read the engravings on the wall, though there aren't as many in this room as the actual tomb. It seems like no time before Bren is motioning for me at the door.

As soon as I was in earshot, Bren says, "I got the pearl! Can you go talk to the spider man outside? Turns out Corin's people are super enemies with them."

I want to know many things, first of all how he got the pearl from the cat, but I shake my head and say, "I can do that."

"There's one thing though," Bren continues, "You need to try and get some safe haven for the ancient cat race so tell the spider man to stop attacking them."

What? I'm trying to follow his train of thought, but he turns away to re-enter the tomb once again before I get to ask any of my questions.

I turn to face the rest of my companions with the pearl in my hands. I don't know what to say at first, but they see the pearl and want to know how Bren acquired it. I tell them I have no idea, he didn't say.

We decide to go outside to meet the Spider creature at once. I'm thinking, the sooner we can get this over with the sooner we can get out of this creepy cave and back on track to our original mission.

We walk outside where the spider creature is waiting for us, he seems on edge. I walk up to him flanked by Mara and show him the pearl. His eyes light up.

I decide to see what he knows about the cat people, but when I mention the ancient race the spider creature clams up and adds anxiousness to his being already on edge.

The next several seconds blur together. I think I say something else to him about the cat race, but the next thing I know I am on my back with the pearl still in my hand. The spider creature tries to run me over. Thanks to Mara he fails, miserably. Mara is on him, immediately following her are Flynn and Aramir's arrows.  I begin to sing and barely manage to get a shot off with my bow. The Spider creature does not even get a hit in before he is motionless on the ground. My companions and I have pulverized him.

That is really weird. I have no idea he was going react that way at even the mention of the ancient cat race. I am very thankful my companions have my back. I get up, shake myself off, and go to look at the body.

Aramir steps back to reveal a small circular metal shield with the inscription "Prince Eron." Well that is probably less than ideal. However, it is very curious why he became so hostile so quickly to begin with.

I catch a glimpse of the spider's crest under his name. Just before Aramir slings the shield over his shoulder.

Barbarrel trots outside the cave as Mara finishes cutting up the Prince's body. We decided to spread the pieces out over the first room of the cave. We try not to leave any traces that it was us who killed him.

Bren and Corin come into the room as we finish. Corin freaks out, squealing, "Is it dead?"

No one took the time to respond to the unique cat, though I did see Mara's eyes roll. The halfling comforts his new companion while we turn to more important matters--like getting off this island before the spider people demand retribution for killing their prince.

...
Missed an installment? Catch up on the adventure of Morrow Island...
Chapter 1: It Starts...
Chapter 2: The First Battle
Chapter 3: On the Docks
Chapter 4: Getting Nautical 
Chapter 5: Ghost Currents
Chapter 6: Into the Cave
Chapter 7: The Tomb
Chapter 8: Meet Corin

No comments:

Post a Comment