Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chapter 10: Port Veya

We just killed the prince of the spiders. I still can not believe it. However, right now the most important thing to do is figure out how to get off this island. We have our boat, which is amazingly still in tact--except it is still caught in the spider's web.

Flynn uses one of his newly acquired healing potions on Malcolm, our sea captain who was passed out in front of the cave from the effects of a zombie merfolk bite. It must have been a powerful potion because Malcolm jumped up with a start like Flynn pumped him with pure adrenaline.

I try to calm down our frightened captain and catch him up on what is happening. His eyes go wide when I retell how we killed the spider prince. He becomes borderline panicked when I mention Corin. Bren comes up behind me shrugging his shoulders and says, "I made a friend."

I can't help but laugh at it all. The last couple days have been quite an adventure. The overwhelming majority agrees we need to get off the island as soon as possible.

Malcolm shakes his head like he is trying to forget everything we just told him. He stands up and goes to his boat. I don't know exactly what he does, but the web is magically gone and the boat floats freely in the water.

Darkness surrounds us so we decide to rest until day break. In that time Flynn manages to decipher Corin's request for sunglasses. It will be interesting to see how Corin does outside of the tunnels, not to mention how others will react to her. Then again, I, along with my other companions, don't really care. In our minds, Corin is Bren's pet and he can deal with her. At least she is useful enough to tell us that Prince Eron is the current leader of the spider people since the king had died. This adventure just keeps getting better and better.

It is a little before light when we set out. None of us could stand to stay on the island any longer. The sun is still high in the sky when we reach our destination--Port Veya.

The port is the only civilized port among the group of islands. It is small, but clean. Glancing into the town, it appears the houses are a modest size and made of wood and mud. There is quiet activity with light strings music drifting from the middle of town. There is also a pleasant smell wafting from the right. I have a good feeling about this town--it's just what is beyond it that worries me.

We are all looking toward the town we don't notice Malcolm loosening the boat's ties intending to sail back to sea. He clears his throat to get our attention and bids us farewell and good luck. He sincerely thanks us for saving his life and healing him. He states that this is as far as he goes and he leaves us in peace. As his boat begins to drift toward the seas I shout, asking, "how are we suppose to get back to the main land?"

He replies with a shrug, "I don't know, I wasn't paid for that."

Great. That told me something that I honestly knew the whole time: no one expects us to come home. Well, I hope we prove them wrong. I for one quite enjoy living.

Now that we finally arrive at our original destination, the modest Port Veya. Now what?

We talk about the best way to figure out where we need to go. Corin is hiding, Bren and Barbarrel are surveying the pier, while Aramir, Mara, Flynn and I are about to set off into the town to gather some information.

Just as we begin to move forward a stray dog approaches us. It seems Barbarrel is talking to the peaceful pup. Sure enough, Bren begins to translate the conversation as Barbarrel learns about the town. It is a fishing town with very old families rooted here. They have little to no trade and live completely off the land. They love animals of all kinds, which is good for the strange ancient cat, Corin, travelling with us.

A girl about ten years of age comes towards us calling, "Guarda!"

The stray dog runs over to her. She stops with one hand petting the pup and really takes a look at us. She smiles, "You must be the ones I'm looking for."


...
Missed an installment? Catch up on the adventure of Morrow Island...
Chapter 9: The Dead Prince

No comments:

Post a Comment