Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Chapter 4: Getting Nautical

Our Savior, Malcolm, is a stout drunkard, but he currently seems conscious enough. I stand with him in his shack trying to find out about our journey. He doesn't have much to add to what we already know, but it is interesting that he seems almost afraid of the islands we are to travel to. He must be getting paid handsomely for his troubles.

He says that he doesn't often go to the islands or even look at them more than he must. The reason he states is the "blasted changing currents." After a bit more prodding I define the current as the "ghost currents" which are said to hold the corrupted souls of the Nadine tribe turned Naga. The currents proper name is "Neira's Path." Malcolm doesn't have much good to say about the area, but we are on our way nonetheless.

We all aboard the "Last Drop." Malcolm takes his place at the helm as he directs our boat into calm waters. The day starts out beautifully, it could be a pleasure cruise, the winds are fair and the sky is clear. Of course, our good fortune could not last for long.

When the sun reached its highest I began to hear whispers drift over the waters and onto the ship. I thought for a moment I was just hearing things, but when I looked around I saw everyone's ears had perked up, especially the riding dog's. The boat swerved unnaturally causing everyone to have to regain their balance. Malcolm looked frightened. He stood back from the wheel with his hands in the air, he was no longer in control of the vessel. Malcolm grumbled, "I've been sailing these waters for 40 years and I've never seen anything like this before."

I noticed that the boat was pulling toward the steadily growing unsettling voices. The current begins to become visual and angry voices mingle with the sorrowful cries. I close my eyes and reach out toward the water, straining my ears to decipher the ancient language. I open my eyes and shake my head. I can't quite grasp what it is saying, but I do conclude that it is from one source and that is strong magic. I can' understand very little, but three words come to my understanding--"Summon, deep, swarm." I say to no one in particular.

Dark shapes begin to appear in the water. I can see them easily because I am standing at the rails on the starboard side. The forms begin to rise out of the water and creep towards the boat. They are twisted, stale forms of humans. My skin begins to prickle as I cautiously step backwards to the middle of the boat.

Mara is in front with Barbarrel, the halfling's riding dog, right beside her. They begin swatting and cleaving them as they reach the side of the boat. I only get one shot off during the whole battle. Thankfully, the ranger is a better shot. Our foes do not survive long. I am amidst strong fighters.

I barely even get a full breath before I realize that we are once again not alone in the waters. A large shape begins to rush the boat. My companions take a readied stance. But Aramir of all people wait in effort to communicate with the beast.

A large sea tiger rose out of the water and was actually taking a pause at the ranger's encouraging Aquan accent. My Aquan is very rusty, but I try to follow the action. I was so involved in trying to understand the rough conversation that I did not notice the gnome rear back and attack the sea tiger. From there it was a blur. Aramir became furious and retreated to the opposite side of the vessel as the rest of us attempted to fight.

We were doing fairly well. I was able to sink a couple arrows into the beast. The ranger finally offered a shot after protesting the gnome's impatience. Mara pierced with her spear, the halfling with his slingshot, the dog with his teeth and the gnome with his crossbow. We fought hard and drove the beast back into the water.


...
Missed an installment? Catch up on the adventure of Morrow Island...
Chapter 1: It Starts...
Chapter 2: The First Battle
Chapter 3: On the Docks

No comments:

Post a Comment