Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Chapter 2: The First Battle

The quest is to travel to the Isle of Morrow and collect the Crone's egg. This task is easier said than done. The Crone's egg is actually a large gem, which legend states holds the evil god Forosei prisoner. This diety is feared throughout the lands through the form of ghost stories to tell around the campfire or send the imaginations of little kids wild. Forosei consumed the Nadeen people, he devoured with a greedy appetite.

It is quite concerning that an anonymous benefactor is willing to pay handsomely to obtain this gem of evil legends. However, the money is good and after weeks of traveling and searching for a noble way to prove myself as a worthy elf, coming across a quest of good deed seems unlikely.

My companions are four others who have agreed to this crazy, possibly suicidal mission. Aramir, a human ranger, seems very nonchalant in the grand scheme of things, but also secretly protective of those he deems honorable. Mara, the gorgeous and ferocious human fighter is wrapped in juxtaposition. She is both sweet and deadly--a perfect combination. Bryarbahn is a halfling and an experienced druid, always accompanied by his riding dog. He seems comfortable with whatever is thrown his way. The gnome keeps to himself even more than the others. He seems shifty and self-preserving, but more than able to handle most any fight. And then there is me, by far the weakest link--Lorien, an elf maid, a bard, remarkable with people and knowledge, not so wonderful with weapons and combat. We make an interesting combination, but the group is ready and willing to go forward with our quest.

I am comfortable in the marketplace. There are many people and rarely any physical confrontation. I watch the merchant as he hands my newly purchased supplies across the table: a small tent, a backpack, several days rations of food and a few other small items. His eyes are shifty, though the daytime transactions are valid, this merchant has a whole operation that is undoubtedly illegal. That was more than I wanted to know, but that is normal. Reading people is easy, I often wonder if it will one day get me in trouble. Perhaps, but that is another day to worry about.

Just as I get my backpack secured in place under my quiver, a large group of people rush past me leaving the square. Their absence leaves a strange silence in its place. This, however, is quickly filled with deep growling from a pack of dogs quickly moving into the empty space. They are large, closer to wolf than dog, with barred teeth and red-tinted eyes. A shiver slips down my back, the quest has just begun.

I only have a moment to panic before my companions spring into action. The fighter, Mara, moves in a flash to head the dogs off before they make it any further into the town. Bryarbahn's riding dog is just behind her, ready to sink his teeth in our foes. I try to focus and remember my remember my training. As I fumble with my bow I hear an arrow soar above me. It must be the ranger. It was a good shot too, straight into the haunches of one of the dogs. A stone hits another from Bryarbahn's sling setting loose a ripple of howls from the approaching foes.

Mara cleaves through the throat of one dog dropping him to the ground and sinks her spear into another. I finally get a shot off, but it lands uselessly between two dogs. It was barely even a distraction to the oncoming foes.

The rest is a blur. The ranger rushed up beside me, releasing a sure fired arrow straight into a dog's ribs. With a lunge Mara cleaves through one of the remaining dogs. I almost didn't see the gnome's swift, silent attack until the last dog fell with a thud.

There was a moment of complete stillness, I had to remember to breathe. Combat was a lot different in action than reading about it in the scrolls.

My companions drift away, mostly undisturbed by the confrontation. I sat on the wall overlooking the square collecting myself. I yearn to look confident and able to this group, but I wasn't so sure I was succeeding. It happened so fast, I didn't know how to react. I hope experience comes quickly, so I don't prove to be a hindrance--or die, I definitely want to avoid that.

I watch the others finish purchasing goods and hope my excelled ability to control people will be useful during this adventure.

...
Missed an installment? Catch up on the adventure of Morrow Island...
Chapter 1: It Starts...

No comments:

Post a Comment