Thursday, March 22, 2012

Chapter 3: On the Docks

I have lived my whole life amongst the trees, it is a very different to sit and smell the waves of the ocean. I am feeling confident and strong again. After the attack of the dogs in the square I was shaken, not by the combat persay, but by my reaction to it. I completely locked up and was unable to react or even get an accurate shot off. I couldn't believe myself. I know I am green at living in the real world, but I thought I was better than that. And I am better than that.

While I sit, calm, watching the sun sizzle into the water, I vow to myself that I will not show that kind of weakness again. I have a lot to learn, but that is why I am on this journey. I want to gain experience, find wisdom and prove to myself and my home that I am worthy to be an elf guide, one who leads and teaches others. I have the knowledge, now I just need some practical experience. I didn't realize how challenging that would be.

But here I am, meditating with the setting sun on a dock ready to set sail on an adventure to almost certain death. I am traveling with four companions to an island surrounded with evil legends to obtain the Crone's Egg, a gem said to hold a deity of destruction. This should go well. At least I can appreciate the sunset, which is absolutely gorgeous. 

I catch a glimpse out of the corner of my eye, a metallic glare, rising from the water. I stand up and rush back towards a run down shack on the beach. I look back to see strange lizard folk rise out of the water. I didn't have to think twice before I knew they were intent was to kill. They were short, scaly and smelled like rotting seaweed. And they were getting closer.

This time I do not panic. I am still not the most sure with combat, but I have a few other tricks up my sleeve. I begin singing an ancient battle song, a ballad of heroes past. Sure, it has no large impact on the approaching foes, but my companions who are all on the beach awaiting our unusual enemies begin to stand straighter and a glaze of courage over their eyes. 

When Mara swings her sword to ward of the advance, she swings a little stronger and decapitates the scaled foe closest to her. The halfling's dog rips one of their throats out, while the gnome skewers one crawling onto land. 

This battle is almost too easy. Until four more lizard foes come from the direction of the shack, a little too close for comfort. I unsheathe my sword preparing for their approach when I hear the ground rumbling behind me. I take a chance to look back and see the wind whipping around as a crocodile springs forward ready to attack. I smile slyly to myself, the druid has some tricks up his sleeve too.

Before we can even attack the oncoming lizard men foes and old man runs out of the shack swinging and shouting. He looks mad, but he causes the lizard men to scurry away, back to the water.

As they rush away I catch a glimpse of a marking on one of the Lizard folk. Branded on his arm is a symbol that looks like a fountain of fire. Interesting. Very interesting indeed.

"Who are you?" I shout at the stout, drunken man.

"The name is Malcolm. Are you the folks who need passage?"

"We are." I answer.

"Then come on in. We'll leave at daybreak." Malcolm turns heading back to his shack.

That name does sound familiar. Malcolm is the name Noctis gave to us of the captain who will sail us to Morrow Island.  My instinct says we can trust him, though drunk, he is mostly harmless. I trust my instinct, but my companions don't seem so sure.

I want to know what this strange man has to say so I follow him into the shack. Mara follows me and so does the gnome. Aramir, the ranger stands at the door, still able to hear, but staying at the ready. The halfling and his riding dog are not to be seen.

Now it's time to get some answers, and perhaps get an idea of what we are getting ourselves into.


...
Missed an installment? Catch up on the adventure of Morrow Island...
Chapter 1: It Starts...
Chapter 2: The First Battle

No comments:

Post a Comment