Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Vampire Lestat Quotes: Part II

The Early Education and Adventures of the Vampire Lestat:

Lelio Rising (p. 22-78)

"You're stronger than anyone else here, that's your tragedy." (p. 38)

..."Only the impossible can do the impossible." (p. 42)

"In fact we were at that moment of drunkenness that the two of us had come to call the Golden Moment, when everything made sense." (p. 51)

"You make life when you play," I said. "You create something from nothing. You make something good happen. And that is blessed to me." (p. 51)

..."I'm speaking of the character of human beings, not what they believe in. I'm speaking of those who won't accept a useless lie, just because they were born to it. I mean those who would be something better. They work, they sacrifice, they do things" ... "There is blessedness in that," I said. "There's sanctity. And God or no god, there is goodness in it. I know this the way I know the mountains are out there, that the stars shine." (p. 52)

(p. 54-58) I feel it is important to interject here that a major turning point happens in the novel, a state of mind Lestat settles in where he realizes there will be no answers to the great questions and truly believes in nothingness, a very lonely thought indeed. It is this mindset that motives the rest of the story and sets up Lestat's many conversations and philosophies on good and evil. These philosophies, in my opinion, is worth reading the entire book and series. 

"I took up the theme again that music and acting were good because they drove back chaos. Chaos was the meaningless of day-to-day life." (p.55)

"Of course all that these young bourgeois really wanted was to be aristocrats. They bought titles, married into aristocratic families whenever they could. And it's one of the little jokes of history that they got mixed up in the Revolution, and helped to abolish the class which in fact they really wanted to join." (p. 66)

"I can live without God. I can even come to live with the idea there is no life after. But I do not think I could go on if I did not believe in the possibility of goodness."(p.72)

From "The Vampire Lestat" by Anne Rice
Take a look back at my quotes and highlights:

No comments:

Post a Comment