Thursday, April 26, 2012

Chapter 12: Into the Jungle

I actually did sleep fairly well in Zingu's house on the eve of my greatest adventure to date. However, I keep hearing these ghostly howls that manifest in my already darkened dreams into some of the greatest and most fierce monsters I have ever studied.

Once my companions came inside to find breakfast, I heard them speak of strange ghostly sounds in the night as well. I suppose it was more than a bad dream. Those who stayed up to keep watch of the area also saw movements in the jungle that may or may not have been tricks of their eyes. I believe we are in for quite the adventure.

Kalina runs into the dining area, excited to go. As soon as we eat and pack our gear we head out. Kalina leads the way with a pack tied to the end of a stick over her shoulder and Guarda by her side. It was here while I followed them with my senses on full alert into the forest, that I recognized the symbol on Guarda's collar.

We move along the sembalance of a path through thick forest. Everyone keeps a quick, steady pace moving easily through the underbrush except Mara, who curses and cut her way from the rear of the pack.

It is quite hot outside, which slows us down more than anything, also causing us to ration our water. Kalina leaves red paint marking the trees to find our way back--an old druid survival trick I remember reading about in my studies.

About an our into the jungle, Kalina turns sharply to the left off any sort of worn trail. We follow with out questioning her. She is still marking our path.

The further we head into the thick jungle the more I notice small changes. The birds and other animals begin acting strangely aggressive.

Kalina slows, her eyes are wide open. She whispers urgently, "We are getting close to the wall. Follow my lead. If I tell you to run, don't question it, just run--fast."

The small girl no longer looks ten or innocent. She transforms before our eyes into a wise guide beyond her years. I knew my companions trusted her in this moment, same as I did.

SNAP!

A tree falls close to us. We all freeze immediately. Kalina crouches down into the underbrush. We all follow her movement before she can even signal us to.

A shadow covers the forest. We search for the source that completely blocks the sun. We don't have to look long, for it lands directly in front of us.

It is an Elder Arrow Hawk. Ironically, this creature did make an appearance in my nightmare last night--only this one is much closer and ready to strike.

Mara takes an aggressive stance while Corin hides and Bren unsuccessfully tries to wrangle the beast--crazy old druid.

The hawk dodges Mara's first attack. In the meantime, Flynn sneaks behind the beast and delivers a massive, unexpected blow with his rapier. I begin to sing the songs of heroes past to inspire courage for my companions and myself, giving us extra strength against our large feathered foe.

We all attack the hawk unrelentingly causing him to stay on defense until he begins fumbling. Bren trips the beast onto his face. It seems strange the winged creature has stayed on the ground. We take advantage until the monster stands up, stumbles and then falls over dead.

After a deep breath, I inspect the magnificent beast. Curiously, his under feathers are branded with a reoccurring symbol of the fire fountain. I wonder what order governs this symbol. It might help explain what is really going on here. For now, I have no way to find out. I gather some feathers, both branded and unbranded, and store them in my sack.

I try to take in my surrounding, looking to the sky, further into the jungles and to my companions. What could possibly be next?


...
Missed an installment? Catch up on the adventure of Morrow Island...
Chapter 1: It Starts...
Chapter 2: The First Battle
Chapter 3: On the Docks
Chapter 4: Getting Nautical 
Chapter 5: Ghost Currents
Chapter 6: Into the Cave
Chapter 7: The Tomb
Chapter 8: Meet Corin
Chapter 9: The Dead Prince
Chapter 10: Port Veya
Chapter 11: Kalina and Zingu

No comments:

Post a Comment