Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Chapter 11: Kalina and Zingu

While investigating Port Veya a young girl surprises us by saying, "you must be the ones I'm looking for."

I for one am shocked by this revelation. I didn't know anyone knew we were coming, though it answers the question of where to go next. I sense that this girl is good, pure and even a little adventurous, but I want to know what she knows. I ask her, "You were looking for us?"

"Yes, my father asked me to keep a look out for the next band of travelers to come to the island. And here you are--finally." the girl answers.

My companions and I remain silent for a moment, looking at each other. In my opinion, the situation seems to easy, but no one can sense any alliterative motives. The girl sees our hesitation and takes a step, really more of a skip, in my direction. "Hi, I'm Kalina."

I have to admit, I like this girl. I bet she doesn't need to go on crazy, dangerous adventures to prove herself. I introduce myself and my companions. She especially enjoys Corin the cat.

"You must come meet father, he will be very excited that you made it. You will stay with us as well--he will insist." Kalina turns to lead us towards the town.

"Who is your father?" I ask as we being to walk.

"He is a tradesman in rare artifacts. He is one of the few who ever leave the island. I can't wait to go with him. It will be so exciting to see the world."

"I thought the same thing once. You know, it is pretty exciting." I say. "What is your father's name?"

"Zingu."

Kalina leads us all the way through town to a house right on the edge of the jungle under a palm tree. The small cottage, backed by the forest, reminds me of home. I wonder what mother and father would think of their little girl now.

Kalina and I chat as we walk. My companions follow us, most still a little tense. Mara is right behind me, watching my back as usual and covered in armor with her spear loosely in her hand.  Aramir is surveying the scene, surely keeping an eye and ear out for any signs of danger. Flynn is looking sneaky on the edge of our group--I hope he behaves himself. Bren looks like he is having the time of his life. Corin, walking beside him to bring up the rear, looks scared and fascinated at the same time.

We are quite the sight in this small, sleepy town. The people looking at us with various levels of interest. I suppose it is a big deal when a band like ours comes to town, especially with the number of legends associated with the islands.

Zingu greets us with a smile and a table of food. I enjoy the apples, the starchy soup and especially the tea. We make small talk as we figure out exactly what we have gotten ourselves into.

Zingu is friends and trading partners with Noctis, the man who hired us for this crazy adventure. Noctis let him know to expect a band of people and hoped we would make it. Zingu also shared Noctis good feeling about this group. He is more than willing to host the group in the attempt to obtain the crone's egg, a rare artifact indeed.

Zingu explains the ancient wall built between us and the jungle. He mentions the danger in this journey and that not many even attempt the feat.

Kalina, however, is already an adventurer in her own backyard and is the best tracker to find the wall. She will act as our guide as far as the ancient wall. Zingu forbids her to cross the wall to the other side. There are no maps to aid us to the wall and beyond it is completely unexplored territory. Beyond Kalina's guidance we will be on our own.

That makes enough storytelling for me for one night. I believe my companions feel the same. We have our quest, now I'm just thankful I don't have to watch my back for one night. My companions don't feel as secure though.

Even though Zingu opens his house to use and tells us to make ourselves at home, Mara, Aramir, Bren, Barbarrel and Corin decide to sleep in the stables. Flynn sleeps on the hearth by the quickly dying fire.

I debate about sleeping outside in a tree, a favorite thing to do back home in Elmwood forest. However, I've heard one too many horror stories and eerie legends about this particular jungle so I decide against it. Instead, I retire upstairs to a bed. I am determined to have one good night sleep to go with the delicious dinner before we begin our adventure into the jungle. I go to sleep hoping this isn't my last good night's sleep.

...

Missed an installment? Catch up on the adventure of Morrow Island...
Chapter 1: It Starts...
Chapter 2: The First Battle
Chapter 3: On the Docks
Chapter 4: Getting Nautical 
Chapter 5: Ghost Currents
Chapter 6: Into the Cave
Chapter 7: The Tomb
Chapter 8: Meet Corin
Chapter 9: The Dead Prince
Chapter 10: Port Veya

No comments:

Post a Comment